Friday, September 5, 2008

THE CARNIVAL IS IN TOWN!

They arrived on Wednesday! No, I'm not talking about my daughter and the three boys. Although they did arrive last Sunday, bag and baggage. I'm actually talking about the annual carnival that arrives and sets up across the street for the Community Days here in Elwood. This is our 18Th Elwood Community Days and the occasion has grown from a one-night Street Dance to a three day event. There's a carnival that runs three nights/two days, entertainment, lots of food and a craft show. Activities galore for young and old; everybody and their brother shows up to dance, play bingo, and mingle. The adults like the beer garden and the kids love the rides. Even a parade will step off the main street on Saturday morning at 10 A.M. and a big fireworks show at 9 on Saturday evening. Com'on down! There's always an extra sleeping bag.

There have been moments this week when I actually felt like I lived in a carnival or at least a zoo. With three dogs (Even Steve's dog), two cats, three youngsters, and two extra adults, I have been in heaven. Lots of laughter, activity and "Yes!" it does keep me very busy indeed. I've been having the time of my life! Everyone knows how I love my household bursting at the seams. I mentally picture our home with kids, animals, and people tumbling out of windows and looking as if it was lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Talking about having a full house; it makes my alone time very special to me. So this morning while walking my dog, Cory, I decided to walk past the carnival to see how things were going. It starts at 5 P.M. today; so even though I knew the "Carnies" had been here for a few days now; it's been raining cats & dogs for two days. (Hmmm, maybe that's where all the animals have come from!) They were scrambling around putting up the rides and trying to dry things out. One big, burly man looked over at me and smiled while some of the others waved. They were scurrying from their mobile homes and I even noticed some tents set up by the pond.

Hard life, I thought. I would venture to guess that Carnival life is probably not high on career choices. Always on the go, never being at home and probably not much pay; these people that travel together remind me of the song Cher sings; "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves". They probably become a family and care for each other.

As I walked on I noticed that they all looked typically alike; kind of tattered, torn and worn. They were working hard to make up for lost time. Tonight the Village of Elwood would come expecting a good time. Food that was edible, rides that were safe and these misfits ready to show the children of our Village a good time...while staying discreet & invisible. "Yes", big, burly man, do your heavy work even in the pouring rain. Come into the Village and provide the entertainment for those I love. Just don't come onto main street to mingle in our midst. Don't rub elbows with me in the Children's Garden or eat in our restaurant. Know your place!"

After the week-end is over, do everything in reverse. Quickly, quietly and even over night, if possible. Move on to the next town where your brightly lit rides will thrill their teens and your funnel cakes will fill every age with delight. Just go!

No comments: