Sunday, July 13, 2008

Not now, not ever.....




Many of my readers have asked me "Why?" they have seen my friend, Steve, back on the streets. After writing about him and talking about him as being our house guest for months; I guess people are surprised and a bit bewildered why he has been seen in his camos, walking the streets, pulling a cart with all his belongings (including Gabby)and joining the ranks of the "homeless" again. I do appreciate the concern that my readers and friends have shown me. I feel that I've adjusted well enough now to tell it like it is; so people will actually know why they see Steve back on the street; walking the "J" like most people say.

Steven is a street preacher. He is not your typical "homeless man". In fact, in reality, he has a permanent home within our family. The basement apartment may hold visitors or even our children & grandchildren from time to time; but it will forever be Steve's place. Although he was only here for a season, we formed a friendship that will never end. His concern for others in the unfortunate position of homelessness is inspiring indeed. He is "out-there" to be a shoulder to cry on, a hand upward and the voice of Truth to those who are willing to listen. Steve has had first-hand experience with many of the trials of those who are addicted to alcohol, drugs and other pitfalls of those spiraling into hopelessness. He carries more than extra blankets to cover those in need, but the love of Christ and a constant presence to those who may be bound by addictions and need someone to listen. Many a night Steve will stay up with someone who needs protection when they are in a vulnerable position.

I wish I could tell you that I took the day Steven left, May 9th, well. I didn't! I actually felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. I just didn't understand why a person would rather live in the street when they could choose to stay and live in the warmth and comfort of our home. It just didn't make sense to me. Little did I understand that Steve had already been struggling with the fact that he was not fulfilling his purpose in life. I had noticed that he was beginning to withdraw from us and seemed unhappy lately. I just couldn't bear to think of my best friend laying on the cold ground, wondering what he would eat and fearing for his own safety. I was as close to him as I am to my own son and the thought of him being harmed just broke my heart. We won't even mention the selfish part of me who wanted to keep him here for friendship and camaraderie. I was clueless and, I must admit, angry!

Well, it has been two months now and I'm happy to report that "Yes" Steven is indeed back on the street. We see him often when we are in town. He still "comes home" to shower, rest, have a good meal and even talk about Christ with me. He and I love to talk "shop". He reports on his adventures and I share my questions on what I've read and heard about OUR savior. We have formed a friendship that will last a very, very long time. I am privileged to call him Brother.

No comments: