
What next? I always seem to come back from walking my dog with some interesting little tid-bit. Today was no exception! There is always the usual I saw, I heard, I noticed and the like; but today I came back home with a piece of the Children's Garden. No, I didn't bring dirt home, I actually volunteered to care for and nurture a plot of the beautiful garden that is parked across the street from us. You know, I don't have enough to do! I just needed something to fill in those few extra minutes of my day. A piece that I could call mine even though I certainly don't have a green thumb!
I had read in our Village Newsletter that they were looking for volunteers to adopt an area of the Garden and help maintain its beauty. I do so enjoy the garden on a daily basis and since I'm over there anyway and my knees are all calloused from crawling around on them; I decided I was the lady that they were looking for. So I volunteer with the expectation that they would give me maybe a 5' by 5' plot. No way, they gave me my own mini garden! It actually has a name! It's called the Serenity Garden. It is located in the middle of the entire Children's Garden. There is a beautiful wooden bench there with a bird bath and a copper roofed bird house. It is gorgeous! Of course there are roses, and other flowering plants along with WEEDS!~
The weeds are really very small and until the Garden Lady pointed them out to me, I thought that they were just ground covering. "No, she stated, this is clover. These are weeds!" Well, they're soon to be out of there, if I get my hands on them. The bird bath needs cleaning. A little hydrogen peroxide will fix that. I'll have the birds standing in line to bathe in no time!
I'm looking forward to my new volunteer position. It never hurts anyone to get on their knees on a daily basis. It will also take the place of some pretty expensive therapy. That is probably the only part of my life that I will actually have some semblance of control over! So I can pull and tug, clean & screen, and experience the serenity of God's glorious creation for free. Who says you have to go to an expensive spa to feel the calm? I can soak up the sun, pull the weeds, shine the copper roof and sit on the wooden bench to admire God's handiwork. It's going to be a great experience! I will bet that, if I pull enough weeds, I will eventually have a green thumb!
No comments:
Post a Comment