
Taking things for granted is pretty much the way folks in America live nowadays. Having more than enough is something we get accustomed to pretty quickly. Even children don't realize that everyday is full of the things that we both want & need. The other day I was visiting my doctor and complaining about a reoccurring headache. Of course, I had tried all the known remedies before making the trip and was told that I had to have an MRI so that a certain condition that affects the eye could be ruled out. He mentioned that this condition resulted in blindness.Yes, that got my attention pretty quickly. I will make the appointment first thing Monday morning.
This BLOG was inspired because of that "visit"...
If tomorrow I were to be blind; today I would wake at daybreak and watch the sun come up over the lake. I would look deeply into my husband's eyes and remember forever the love that I found there. I would notice the green hue of the grass and the beautiful fluffy white clouds against the pale blue sky. I would wheel from one glorious flower to the next to catch the intricacies of each petal, stem and the little bugs that pollinate them. I would study my children's faces and remember every quirky move that makes them who they are. I would sit quietly as the sun sets and memorize the different reds that paint the night sky. Colors would be as vibrant and stunning, rich and beautiful; colors that today I take so for granted.
If tomorrow I could not hear; today I would play music constantly through my day. Every type of music from pop to opera; taking in the sounds that make my feet want to dance and my voice want to sing. I would listen to a baby cry, children at play and traffic buzzing by. I would go deep into the woods to hear nature's solitude and the little creatures that call it "home" chirping, squeaking and running to & fro. A door bell, the phone, the toast popping up, my dog's bark, my cat's meow and all my loved one's voices as they call "Mom, I'm here!"
If tomorrow I could not speak; today I would use my last words as a miser uses his fortune. Frugally, I would measure my words! Not wasting my breath to criticize, complain or berate; but to comfort, compliment and speak of love. I would laugh and sing and not care who heard just how badly I sing or how loudly I might laugh. I would say exactly what I mean and mean exactly what I say.
If tomorrow I could no longer live, today would not be wasted. I would use up every precious moment being all the things that I've held myself back from being. Things that I often think to be so very important would be set aside for all the important things that I often think I will have "time for later". Sadly enough, we really don't know how tomorrow will present itself. Change can come at anytime, anywhere and to anyone. Perhaps that little "visit" can help me realize the opportunities that we let slip through our fingers each day. If tomorrow is always a very real possibility for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment