Happy Fourth of July! My, the summer is flying by, isn't it? In fact, they were putting the Back to School Aisle together at my local Wal-mart the other day. I thought, "I bet my grandboys aren't thrilled with that!" Non the less, it is the 4th and I think we should celebrate with gusto! Picnicking, parading and lighting up the dark sky is what it's about, right? When you get older, I think you realize that all of those things are just the cherry on the sundae. Freedom is really what we're celebrating. Our young men and women are fighting for all those freedoms that we take so for granted. Living in America is freedom personified and we should never ever take that for granted.
I know I am indeed celebrating today! Freedom is something I try very hard to appreciate every day of my life. I thought it fitting that maybe I share with you some of the little freedoms that I am so happy that I have. First off, I am so happy that I can wear my love of Christ visibly on my person. I can wear my cross visibly on my chest and go to the church of my choice each week. There may be a day that I will be persecuted for that. I know in my heart, that I will still have the courage to profess my utter love for Him above all else in this world.
The freedom of mobility is something that I'm always aware of. I'm not stuck on the porch or in my home. I can either walk a few steps, use my walker for support, ride my beautiful Jazzy Pride wheelchair or even get into my van and drive where ever I need or want to go. I am so thankful for that freedom! I imagine that one day that may be an impossibility; but for today it is a freedom available for me.
Communication is my favorite freedom. Talk, talk, talk and when I talk, people actually listen! In fact, I was talking to my friend, Steve, and asked him if he thought I could become a street witness. He thought a minute and said, "You know, I think God would send people your way who want to listen. They would really listen because they want to hear what you're saying." Sounds good to me!
You know the greatest freedom of all? Our ability to love! I think about all the little blessings that I have and the freedom to freely love them. Big or small, human, animal, things that I have acquired during my many years of living; I can freely show my affection and concern for them without fear of judgement or condemnation. I have such a wonderful family.
Let's bring on the fire works and thank God for all freedoms, big & small.
No comments:
Post a Comment