Saturday, January 31, 2009

Love, the Great Commandment



I always thought that if you loved someone enough, you could change their ways. Idealistic as it may seem, I was convinced that "all you need is love". If you gave enough love to someone or something, you could move them to do the right thing, make better choices and turn them from despair to productivity and self-love. I am now ready to tell you (and myself)that unfortunately this is not necessarily true. It may have taken awhile, but I am now ready to admit that it can take all the love that you can muster up and you still might not be loved in return, turn people around or change their situation. I can also assure you that although it may baffle and confuse you, you have not wasted your time.

Rather disheartened, I sit here and admit that there are two types of people in this world. There are givers and there are takers! Without both types of people, the world in which we live in today would be a strange place. I find at times, following in Jesus' footsteps becomes more difficult as your faith grows and develops. At one time, I thought that being a "lover" of mankind was what God called His followers to do. Empty oneself for another, give your best, turn the other cheek so to speak; all these things could and would change the world. Let it be known that my years of "rollingaround" have taught me that even though one may love, it doesn't have its guarantee that #1 You will be loved in return; or #2 It is going to change someone or something the way YOU think it should be.

Well, aren't you little Miss Sunshine?" I'm sure that's what you are thinking. Just being realistic, I assure you. Actually, in the past, I thought that like the song says, "All you need is love." If you loved with all your heart, that that love would bring out the best in those around you. So knock yourself out, but guess what? There are some people who are unable to love. I do believe that there are people who do not have the capability to give of self to another. A bit cynical, you say? Perhaps, but I found that once I learned this very harsh lesson; things became much easier to bear.

Now, I am by no means telling others not to love. In fact, there are some people that would absolutely burst if they couldn't allow love to flow freely. I am simply saying that true love is something that must be given freely without expecting a response in return. Love is like a gift. Sometimes it is returned and, at other times, it is simply "returned". That type of "returned" can often be very painful. Perhaps that is why God made a priority "Love your neighbor as yourself!" The "Love" that I am speaking of is an unselfish love that is not for self gain. It is not meant to change, to entrap, to convince, or to alter. For years, I thought that love was a hold on tight type of deal. In my later years, I am just beginning to know what the meaning of real love is. Real love, the kind that we are called to give, is a selfless love.

And so, when we love, it is often a means to an end that we have in our minds. Let me love you enough so that you will love me in return. Or, let me love you through the hard times and make you feel better. I've done that, we all have. How many marriages are began with one partner hoping to change the other? How many times do we truly love just for Love's sake? It may take a lifetime to learn what the Bible teaches us. "A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34 KJV

No comments: