Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rolling through the hard times!

You know it doesn't take much to make me happy. I'm usually a pretty upbeat person. Even in the gloomy Winter months, I can find something to be happy about! Visiting my doctor can be a great day for me. I can travel the 30 miles with ease while using the tollway and utilizing the I-PASS lanes. I'm not actually getting by with anything, but I love slowing up and not stopping. I feel kind of special and privileged! Yes, I did say that even little things make me happy!

On my last visit to my doctor of 17 years, he decided that this Ol'gal needed her annual tune-up. Oh boy, that meant a round of physical therapy at my local rehab center. Ouch! Pull, push, pedal, row and even more physical torture by an unknown therapist. Oh well, that's how the wheels roll! Two days a week the sweats go, on the wheelchair is pushed aside and I go in feeling so-so and come out hurting. Figure that one out?

Well, little was I prepared to admit that five weeks into therapy, just two days a week; I have found that Monday and Wednesday doesn't come around soon enough for me. What a wonderful place it is to be in the midst of people who are fighting to get better. Therapist that know how to rehabilitate the little old lady that broke a hip, the young man or woman who was injured on the job and the littlest patient that has been afflicted by cerebral palsy (just like me). Survivors, fighters, all there for one reason; to fight! It is indeed, a very happy place. People sharing a common goal, fighting to get well; learning to walk again, talk more clearly and learn how to once again preform daily living skills. Therapists with a tender touch and a encouraging word. Trained to know just when to push and when to turn it up a notch. The patients talking to each other and complaining about the torture that we're being put through; while smiling because we know that our goals are slowly being met.

My therapist, Pedro, is a joy. Although I wasn't crazy about him at first, he has become endearing to me. His attitude is positive; even when he is poking and pulling, his concern is always my comfort and safety. I wouldn't trade him for the world. My goal is to use the walker more around the house so that I can keep my legs stronger. You know the old saying "Use it or lose it!" This Ol'gal is not going down without a fight! This spring will find me in better shape due to a long winter of making the wheels on the stationary bike go faster than my friend, Ron's. Oh yes, we have planned our rehabs to coincide. Let's roll!

No comments: